The Orange Bag




I have not been sewing for nearly a year, there are a lot of things going on and it distracts me from enjoying my hobby. But today, I feel the need to fight this laziness and procrastination, so I search for a backpack pattern from my pattern box. The pattern was drafted inspired by a bag that I bought for my daughter 6 years ago but never got a chance to turn it into a product yet. For this bag design, I wanted a different style with 3D front pocket instead of the ordinary pocket, though it doesn't actually look like what I have envisioned in my mind, this will do for now.

This bag is for my eldest daughter, Chacha. Her old bag is falling apart! LOL. She has been carrying the bag since she was 12. This precious girl never complains, but my eyes sore by looking at the broken zipper that attaches the front pocket. She attached a safety pin to secure the front pocket. Oh goodness! 

As a bag maker, I feel ashamed of myself haha... 

My first attempt is by using classic blue denim, I interfaced every piece with medium weight cotton stabilizer (CS) but that was a huge mistake! Sewing the layers especially the front piece was a nightmare! I broke my needles, bend some needles at one point and my thread keeps on breaking because of the thickness. Although it is wearable, I decided to make another bag, this time with better measurement and design, I choose the orange small cord fabric. The only thing that I would change is the zipper. I do not know how long the zipper will stand because of the low quality. I also omit interfacing on some layers especially the pockets lining. 





The bag has a main zipper opening, two front pockets, sides slip pocket for the water bottle, there is also a zip pocket inside the bag and another zip pocket at the back of the bag for handphone. I use the silver-like square ring and adjustable slider for the bag straps.





As for the lining, I use medium weight linen from my remnant stash. The binding was a premade binding that is also a from my bag making days.

I am thinking of making this design into a pdf pattern for my Etsy shop. It has been a while since I last design my patterns.

Hope to see you in the next post, till then, stay safe and take care.

Love,

Liza


Comments

Sara SJ said…
So many beautiful details! You're a great sewist! Can't wait to see your next project!
Nomaliza Azman said…
Hi Sara, thanks for taking the time to read my humble blog, you are so sweet!